Over the course of a year, Cactus’ designers and engineers worked in close collaboration with Mount Sinai's doctors and researchers to design, develop and launch a new type of medical space from the ground up.
The space, called Lab100, is a hybrid clinic and research lab leveraging data and technology to redesign the way health is measured and healthcare is delivered. Lab100 empowers patients to track their health over time by providing the most comprehensive personal health assessment currently available. As a research center, Lab100 equips scientists with longitudinal multi-scale health data and a testbed environment to develop, validate and deploy new products and services.
A visit to Lab100 begins on the patient’s PC or phone. In addition to making an appointment patients are prompted to complete a medical self-assessment about nutrition, sleep habits and mental health. At Lab100 the patient is guided through a series of stations, each measuring, reporting and contextualizing one or more biomarkers, including cognition, balance, dexterity, anthropometrics, body composition, blood chemistry and strength. The culmination of the experience is a consultation, where the patient and doctor discuss findings, ideas and recommendations. This conversation is guided by a large-scale video wall with data gathered from the self evaluation and throughout the visit.
Standard-issue medical apparatus is not designed to share data. So new custom hardware and existing non-medical sensor technologies were developed for use in Lab100 in order to augment existing standardized methods of measurement. Every aspect of the clinic, including tests such as vital signs, body composition, 3D scanning, blood analysis, strength, dexterity, and cognition tests, required customization and adaptation to allow for real-time gathering and interpretation of data on a singular database.
At its heart, Lab100 is a software product. The data infrastructure and backend systems are all custom-built to achieve a high level of modularity and scalability across platforms and different technical needs. A custom API, local server, custom results database infrastructure, cloud-based storage and a dynamic “live” statistical database all work together in a highly automated system.
Lab100 gathers thousands of data points to empower both patients and their physicians to improve health, not just treat disease.
- Finalist,General Excellence. — Fast Company. Innovation by Design Festival, 2018
- Honorable Mention, User Experience. — Fast Company. Innovation by Design Festival, 2018
- Honorable Mention, Health. — Fast Company. Innovation by Design Festival, 2018
- Short List, Healthcare Centre of the Year. — Frame Awards, Festival of Design Innovation, 2019
- The AI-powered doctors’ clinic that could warn patients before they get sick. — designweek.co.uk
- Mount Sinai teamed up with the designers who created projects for Nike and Beyonce to build a futuristic, new clinic — and it's reimagining how healthcare is delivered. — businessinsider.com
- Clinic and Research Lab Designed to Make the Patient Experience Pleasant and Comprehensible — core77.com